In the midst of euphoria over finishing the last novel, I jumped headfirst into writing the next, and now, three months later, I’ve reached the stage of, “What the hell was I thinking?”
And yet it progresses.
Most writers seem to have very similiar stages in writing longer manuscripts. Mine generally follow this pattern:
- Let’s do this thing!
- I’m on a roll!
- Wow, this is taking a lot of time out of my life.
- What the the hell was I thinking?
- I am wasting my time on this piece of crap.
- I should take up knitting instead.
- Okay, that was cool, maybe I’m not so bad a writer.
- Hey, this thing is coming together finally.
- The end is in sight!
- Yay, I’m done, and that ended completely different than I thought it would!
But being that I’m only three months into it, it’s pretty good (at least for me) to already be at Stage Four.